Tuesday, 24 March 2015

Focus Stacking Coins of the Realm.

This page leads on from Testing the Focus Stacking System.

Today I've been doing a bit more testing of my focus stacking system, photographing a 5p coin.

The purpose of this was to test the effect of taking shots at larger and smaller increments by controlling the scanner differently.

The script scanprogramme.txt gives larger increments (about 0.08mm I think). The script smooth.py gives smaller increments (about 0.02mm-ish, probably).

According to the documenation of my camera lens, the depth of field at the maximum 5x magnificaion is about 0.1mm, so the bigger increments should really be enough.

Here are some results:

With larger increments the individual shots look like this:



and the focus stacked image looks like this:



With smaller increments the individual shots look like this:





and the focus stacked image looks like this:





I find it hard to say whether there is any improvement from using the tiny increments over the larger ones.


This is the setup that I used (The train set in the background is the important part, obviously):









This project eventually took wings and now has a website of its own. To see more about it please go to http://www.chlorophyllosophy.uk.

Monday, 23 March 2015

Testing the Focus Stacking system

This post follows on from Focus Stacking - Connecting the wires.

I just tested my new focus stacking system and it was fairly successful. In the end I mounted the subject on the scanner and just triggered the camera manually using the shutter release button. The scanner ticks loudly every time the arm moves so it wasn't too hard to know when to release the shutter.

I used this python script to drive the scanner. The camera setup was a Canon 5d MkII with a Canon MP-E 5x macro lens. The camera was just resting on a box and working in auto mode. The battery was stuck to the arm of the scanner with a bit of blue tack to stop it wobbling.

Here are a few sample images:






This is the focus stacked image, compiled by Helicon Focus:


There's some strange fuzzy stuff going on at the top, but otherwise that seems to have been fairly successful. 

Good stuff. 



This post follows on from Focus Stacking - Connecting the wires.


The next page in the series is Focus Stacking Coins of the Realm.

This project eventually took wings and now has a website of its own. To see more about it please go to http://www.chlorophyllosophy.uk.